Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sen. Obama's Equal Pay for Equal Work

I understand that Sen. Obama would like to see women receive as much money for their position as men. Sounds great. I can vouch for women making less than men. I've been there, done that.

As a bank Vice President and manager of the largest branch in the bank, I was discriminated against. I had more responsibilities than other branches. We held over $500 million in bank deposits, more than some banks. We had more employees and customers. We were in charge of cash coming into and out of the bank. We had the responsibility of hundreds of ATMs, and took in millions of dollars from credit unions and other financial institutions out of state. We were responsible for the rent on all safe deposits for all the branches. On top of that, I was given the responsibility of area manager of three other branches.

I know I was well thought of in my company. When the bank decided on changing the way teller's process their work, I saw the weakness of the proposed system and told them. I was given the opportunity to help convert the bank's teller system based on my recommendations. We interviewed vendors, I developed and wrote the procedures, trained bank staff, and worked on the conversion. It went off without a hitch.

When we merged with another bank, again I was pulled off my duties and worked on the merger for two years. Again, the teller conversion went off without any problems. I can't say the same for other areas of the bank. Some of them took months to fix the mess from the merger. I again was pulled to work on a merger with a bank in Pennsylvania. Again, the merger of the teller procedures was flawless.

I was rewarded with a nice bonus, but ironically lost my position as area manager when the former Senior Vice President (Mr. S) of a bank we merged with came in above me. I understand these things. I can play in the sandbox with others. I accepted it.

Mr. S was then in charge of about ten branches, including mine. He wrote our reviews. Every time we had annual reviews, he would give me a competent review and a minimal raise. His former employees, all men, would always receive a commendable review and with it, a better raise. This went on for five years until Mr. S retired.

Was I discriminated against? I believe so.

Now. On to Senator Obama's promise of equal pay for equal work. For women, this sounds enticing. Women consistently do not get paid the same wage as a man in an equivalent job. According to womensmedia.com, women earn 77 cents for every dollar men earn. It's not that they are not deserving of equal pay, it's simply that they are being discriminated against.

Obama promotes "Equal pay for equal work!" He would like us to believe that there is nothing we can do as individuals to combat this discrimination. No, we are helpless. Helpless like little kittens. We need the government's help to ensure that we are paid the same as everyone else.

Imagine, for a minute, what Sen. Obama's promise of equal pay for equal work would be like. Big Brother will be watching our every move. If you hire someone, even though their qualifications are not the same as another employee, you will have to pay them the same salary. If you are a worker with more experience or expertise, it won't matter, your fellow employee deserves to make as much as you. If you work harder, if you do more work, sorry, it won't matter. If you have perfect attendance and your fellow comrade calls in sick all the time, stop complaining, it won't matter.

Doesn't this smack just a little bit of communism? And, the U.S.S.R.? Wasn't everyone guaranteed equal pay for equal work? The government controlled all industry, all companies. Everyone was treated equally. Everyone was treated the same. The workers morale was in the basement. Their motivation was non-existent. Why should they try? Excellent workers were paid the same as mediocre workers.

This equal pay for equal work doesn't hold water. There are just too many variables involved. But Obama would have us believe that this is a wonderful idea.

The federal government has already given us an avenue to handle discrimination. It's called the Equal Pay Act of 1963. It makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate on wages provided to employees on the basis of sex.

If you feel you have been discriminated against, take action. There's a website that will help you below. And, if that doesn't work, hire an attorney. But, please, please, do not be deceived by the pretty words of "equal pay for equal work." It's not the answer.

http://www.wageproject.org/content/scenarios/pay.php

No comments: